Monday, March 11, 2013

Weather: Introduction

From a young age, I have been fascinated with the weather. I pursued this fascination until it became a passion which led to a career. I visited only two schools, Iowa State and Oklahoma, choosing the latter. I attended the School of Meteorology at the University of Oklahoma from 2008-2012, graduating in four years with a Bachelor's of Science in Meteorology and a minor in Physical Geography.

Major CoursesSupport Courses
3 semesters: Atmospheric Dynamics
3 semesters: Physical Meteorology (Thermodynamics, Cloud Physics, Radiation)
Synoptic Meteorology Lab
Mesoscale Meteorology
Meteorological Measurement Systems
Full year of Senior Capstone
4 semesters: Calculus
2 semesters: Physics (with labs)
Computer Programming
Physical Math
Applied Statistical Methods
Public Speaking
OU Core Requirements (Humanities, Social Science, Etc.)


Upon graduation, I accepted a position as Voyage Planner/Risk Communicator at Weathernews Inc. in Norman, Oklahoma (located adjacent to the National Weather Center on OU's Research Campus). Weathernews is a company headquartered in Japan, where they offer a television network, mobile apps, and much more. The Norman location provides ocean routing service for ships at sea worldwide. I route vessels around inclement weather and seek to provide the safest route while saving fuel, distance, and/or sailing time.

If you have any questions about meteorology as a career or meteorology at OU, find me on Twitter or Google+ and let me know!